Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Mommy Moment of the Week (or really a few weeks ago)

Have you ever been in a situation where you have no clue what to do? As you have read this past week, situations such as these are not uncommon at all in my life. For all you male readers out there, you can probably skip this blog unless you are really into hearing about all the fun of breastfeeding a baby. I am sure that some of you female readers will choose to leave at this moment as well -- I promise if you stick around you are in for some good laughs.

I started back to work three weeks ago. Going back to work meant that I would have to start pumping at work. Let me tell you - there is absolutely nothing fun about pumping. If any of you out there can name something that thrills you about breastpumping I would love to hear it. There is REALLY nothing fun about pumping at a hospital during your shift when there are no pumping rooms on your unit. We have pumping rooms up in the NICU for the mother's of NICU babies. I think that there is something slightly wrong with stealing a pumping room from a mom whose baby is in the NICU.

This leaves me to resort to one of our empty rooms. I have to go through the process of calling my charge nurse and asking her if I can use the room to pump in. This is to prevent them from sending the hospital tour into that room. I can see it now "And in this room....I guess we have our lactation department". So you finally get a few minutes to go pump and you are working as fast as you can to get it all together. On my second night back at work I have finally escaped to pump and I get all my stuff in order only to realize that I have brought no bottles to pump into. Um yeah, can we all say sticky situation. I hate to tell you but my brain was really working to figure out how I could maybe pump into a styrofoam cup. That way I could at least get it out even if I had to throw it away - the good ol' pump-n-dump.

After I had worked up a serious sweat, I called the postpartum floor and had them tube me down some empty bottles. Thank goodness for buying a pump that is the same manufacturer the hospital uses. Please take a moment to put yourselves in my shoes and sit in a ginormous labor room all ready to pump with no bottles.

No comments: