Monday, April 28, 2008

Ten Things Tuesday: Food Edition

XBOX Wife Ten Things Tuesday

This Tuesday, I am going to share with you all some of my favorite foods. Some of them are post-partum weight loss friendly and others are simply splurges.


1. Minute Maid Soft Frozen Cherry Limeades. What could possibly be a better way to welcome the warm weather that is coming? These are tart, tangy and only 1 Weight Watchers Point. I highly recommend people to go searching for them in their grocery store's freezer section.

2. Kashi Strawberry Fields Organic Promise Cereal. This cereal is a perfect blend of strawberries, raspberries, and wheat flakes. I cannot stand super sweet cereal and this is the perfect combination. I have managed to get my whole family addicted to this, and they are scavanging grocery stores across Georgia to find it. It is also the only cereal that stays crunchy to the end -- a very important factor.
3. Milk. This appropriately follows the cereal above. Ever since I have been pregnant I have craved all things dairy. This did not go away after I had Belle. I was never a big milk drinker before, but now I will have a glass here and there throughout the day. Skim milk and fat-free need only apply. That 2% stuff is scary.

4. The Laughing Cow Babybel Light Cheese. I guess this is part of my obsession with dairy. These little cheeses are perfect for me to take to work. I can eat it quickly when things are nutty at work and I haven't been able to get a dinner break. To be honest I love all things Laughing Cow. The wedges and light cheese bites are fabulous as well.

5. Granola Bars Simple Harvest Granola Bars. So far I have only tried the Cinnamon Brown Sugar with Cranberries and Apples, but I am hooked! They are very tasty and in unique flavors. Accompany the cheese above with one of these and you have got a great, fueling snack!

6. Naked Juice Mighty Mango . Mark introduced me to this after he discovered it at Starbucks. It is so yummy and 100% fruit. There is actually one pound of fruit in each bottle. While not too low on the calorie count, there are no added sugars. It is completely worth the splurge and doesn't leave a funny aftertaste like most fruit drinks do. Every now and then when things are busy in the morning I can grab this and get my breakfast in for the day.

7. Hormel Natural Choice Deli Meats. These meats are wonderful because they are preservative free and all natural (hence the name) without artificial ingredients. The sliced chicken breast is wonderful for salads or even make at home pizzas.
8. Propel Fitness Water Flavor Packets. When I was pregnant and I had low amniotic fluid I was encouraged to drink more and more water. I was never a big water drinker and these packets gave the little boost of flavor I need to get my water down. Since then I have become addicted to water... can't get enough. I like it with flavor or even plain with ice.


9. Romaine Crunch Salad - This is an incredible salad that is great for the spring and summer. I got it from my church cookbook and tweaked it to make it my own recipe.
Ingredients:
1 package of hearts of romaine lettuce (yeah, go ahead and buy the prepackaged kind unless you are fancy, schmancy)
1 bunch of green onions, chopped
1 green apple (I also substitute strawberries, fresh peaches, or even raspberries - sometimes I do a combination)
1 package of Ramen noodles, seasoning packet removed
1 small package of chopped walnuts - about 1/2 cup
Dressing:
1 cup vegetable oil -- I prefer canola
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
3/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
salt and pepper to taste
1. Mix romaine lettuce and chopped green onion. Cover and chill in refrigerator while prepping other ingredients.
2. Break apart Ramen noodles into small pieces and combine with walnuts. Toast until light brown. I do this in the oven at whatever temperature everything else is cooking on and just keep an eye on it. You can also do this in a small pan on the stove.
3. Combine ingredients for dressing in blender and blend until smooth.
4. Chop up fruit into bite-size pieces and add to lettuce mix along with Ramen noodles and walnut.
5. Add dressing and toss to coat -- Do not add all the dressing at once. Add a little and toss and repeat until coated to your desired preference. I usually have about half the dressing leftover. Serve salad immediately.

10. Klondike Oreo Sandwiches. F-A-B-U-L-O-U-S. Mark got me addicted to this major splurge. We have both decided that this may be the best ice cream treats that exist. We also have decided that Klondike knows what they are doing by only putting four in the package. This is my BIG splurge. They are a little hard to find, but I can usually find them at Publix or WalMart. All I can say is .... ENJOY!

No comments: