Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Supposedly Playtime is 10pm at the Reiboldt House

Belle is a pretty good sleeper... knock on wood. She is very good at sleeping long stretches - anywhere from 6-10 hour stretches at night. The bit we have yet to master is the getting to sleep bit. After night after night of rocking her, feeding her, walking the floors, etc. nothing was working. Mark and I began to dread the time of night when we had to put her to sleep.

After much advice from friends and family, we have resorted to the book Solve Your Child's Sleep Problems. It is basically a cry-it-out version where you reassure your baby at different intervals. We started this last week and so far we are taking teeny, tiny baby steps. I usually end up having to feed her before she will finally go down.

Tonight, after crying and crying, Belle started smacking her little fists so I knew she was hungry. I went in and got her to feed her. She refused to eat and instead, she laid on my lap looking up at me with these eyes "saying come on mom lets play". I know she can't understand me, but I looked at her and sweetly said "Belle you need to either eat or go back to sleep." She started smiling and cooing at me as if to say I'll show you mom. Mark and I were dying laughing. There is not a doubt in my mind after tonight that she has her father's personality -- ornery to the bone. These are the times in motherhood where you just throw up your hands and live in the moment. I will only have those sweet smiles and coos for so long and they make every bit of the tough parts of motherhood worth it.

*NOTE: For those of you who are against the cry-it-out method. It is unnecessary for you to share your opinion with me. When you become a mother you do what is best for your child and your family.

I figured since she is just liker her dad, a picture of the two of them was needed.

1 comment:

Three Scobeys said...

Yay! I cannot wait to be a part of playtime :) I am so excited to spend the summer with YOU and get to meet that little peanut!!