Thursday, May 15, 2008

Mommy Moment of the Week

You have always heard everyone talk about how once you have a baby you seem to lose a portion of your brain. I always disregarded this talk as there was no way that could happen to me. Well today my parenting passport was officially stamped with a "Welcome to Postpartum Brain" stamp.

The inevitable has happened and I have lost a portion of my brain. I think this portion contained my ability to remember. I am also wondering if I step on the scale if I will have miraculously dropped a couple pounds with the loss of part of my brain -- I am thinking the chances are pretty slim.

In my two and a half years I have rarely ever messed up my schedule. A couple of weeks ago a friend asked me to switch a Friday with a Wednesday. I thought no problem and wrote it down in my planner. Unfortunately, I wrote it down for 2 weeks from this week. Maybe I should have clued in that something was up when I was in the locker room at work and my friend who I had switched with asked me why I was working today. Nope didn't clue in yet. Maybe I should have clued in when I looked at the assignments for the night and I was not on the assignment sheet. Nope no clue yet (I am sure at this point everyone but me could have figured it out -- I bet you all even know what is coming).

I asked the charge nurse why she left me off the assignments. She pulled the schedule out and proceeded to tell me I had switched the day with someone. Yeah, I showed up for work when I wasn't even supposed to be there. I could feel the tears well up when I thought about all the work that had gone into getting the milk thawed and bottles ready along with the money spent driving into work. Thankfully one of my friends came to my rescue and is taking 4 of my hours on Friday and hopefully I can get called off for the rest. I volunteered to stay if I was needed and boy was I ever! It ended up being a crazy night and they asked me to stay from 7p-11p for call pay. So the moral of this story is $40/hour call pay isn't bad on a night where you weren't even supposed to be at work!

No comments: