Sunday, May 18, 2008

Happy Four Months!

In many ways it seems like forever and other ways it seems like just yesterday.

I know that sounds so cliche, but it is so true! Belle actually turned 4 months old on Thursday, but due to hectic week we are running a little behind. Here is a run down of what has gone on with Belle this past month told in pictures.

Belle used to be a hater when it came time to do tummy time. She has now made peace with the floor and the boppy and has embraced laying on her stomach for more than a minute without screaming. We started tummy time on the first day home from the hospital and it has taken 4 months for this child to accept. One of her favorite things to do is push herself over her boppy in order to put one of her toys in her mouth. I think I can see teething just around the corner.

Belle can now roll over in both directions, but rarely does it when her fan club is cheering her on. She likes to make sure that we are out of sight and then surprise us with a roll. She is funny like that! We cheer on and on for her to roll over and she looks at us like we are certifiably insane. The minute I walk into the kitchen to do something she will roll over.
Now that I am at work, Belle 3 bottles two times a week. She has impressed her nannies (my grandma and grandpa) as well as Mark by holding her own bottle. Due to her daintiness, she will only hold the bottle when it is half full and if you look closely you can see the left pinkie held out. How proper for a 4 month old! (Sorry for the quality of the last two pics, but they were taken on our blackberries).
Now that Belle has moved on from preemie and newborn clothes, we are venturing into the world of outfits! Now all that know me well, know I was able to make an outfit with the little clothes as well. Seriously look at those shoes with that one piece though! Being in 0-3 clothes gives Belle a few more options. We still can't do many pants because that waist won't hold them up (umm do you think we are sharing this problem right now -- that would be a negative).
Belle's eyes are staying a gorgeous shade of navy blue for the time being. Her hair is turning more and more auburn. My hair was somewhat auburn when I was a little girl. I personally think the combination is stunning, but I am extremely biased. Can we all say Scobey-chin? We were even able to see this on ultrasounds.
She has been holding her head up like a champ. When she lays on her tummy on the floor she moves those arms and legs as if she will just take off one day. I am sure that day is not too far around the corner, so Mark and I have started contemplating how we can baby gate three staircases on one floor. We were thinking those orange ski nets might be nice. Just kidding no one go call DFACS or anything.
Here are the 4-month stats.
Weight: 10 pounds 13.5 ounces - 5th percentile
Height: 23 1/2 inches - 25th percentile
She is teeny, tiny. It has been hard on me because there were about seven girls at work that all had babies within six weeks of each other, and hearing how big their babies has been rough. Don't get me wrong I am completely fine with a small baby, but when you are nursing you almost take it a little personally when people decide to say that she is too small. It makes you almost feel inadequate. The good news is that Belle has remained in the 5th percentile for her weight and isn't planning on dropping off the charts any day soon. Our doctor thinks that for the time being we should hold off on rice cereal since we are still having some reflux issues. We have been able to wean Belle off almost all of her medicines, and so far she is doing great.

The picture above took at least 8 attempts to get. Every picture was a big blur because this child moves. She moves FAST. She thinks no clothes is the coolest thing in the world, and kicks and waves her arms like she is doing aerobics.

Four months has brought us an incredibly sweet and happy baby. She can melt your heart in about a second with her grins from ear to ear. We love to hear her laugh out loud and squeal with delight. She has been sleeping pretty consistently 10-12 hours a night, although here and there we have one middle of the night wake up. Everything this child touches must go in her mouth! This cracks us up as she will try to put our ears in her mouth when we are holding her. I am sure I could go on and on, but you all are probably not that interested. For those of you that have stuck with this long-winded blog you must really love my child!

Happy 4-Months Baby! I cannot wait to see you grow over the next month. We are madly in love with you, and feel that God has blessed us over and beyond what our hearts and minds could ever imagine.

4 comments:

Three Scobeys said...

I did stick with the blog, and I do (really, really) love your child :) I cannot wait to meet her and I am glad that everything is going well. And her being small doesn't make you inadequate at ALL...we are a family of pretty teeny people...it was probably in her genes. I wonder if she will be like her mom, grandma, and aunt and have trouble reaching the pedals in the car ;)

Anonymous said...

I think that cute baby looks so much like YOU!! I blew up the boppy picture and thought "mini-Rachel"!

Anonymous said...

PS Do you ever leave comments? :)

The Story of Josh and Lauren said...

I hate to tell you this Rachel...but the pinky out thing when holding a bottle? I still do that today when holding my drinking glass or things of that nature! It must be the long finger thing. Just wanted to let you know that may never go away! However, that doesn't mean she will be all priss...she may have some tom boy hidden in there somewhere too!
Lauren