Thursday, July 17, 2008

How to...Make Sweet Potato Baby Food

I know that I promised this post yesterday, but unfortunately blogger hasn't been letting me post pictures until today. One of my good friends at work was telling me about how she was making her own baby food. I had always been kind of skeptical of people that made their own baby food, but upon learning how easy it was I decided to try it out myself. Up to this point, I have made squash, peaches and apples. I recommend Cooking for Baby at Williams Sonoma. I have also ordered Top 100 Baby Purees. I will let you know how it is once it arrives.

The basic things you need for making your own food (equipment-wise) are a steamer or steam basket, oven, blender or food processor, and ice cube trays.

Mom you may want to stop reading here due to your sweet potato aversion.

Ingredients: Two sweet potatoes scrubbed very well (you will also want a little bit of breastmilk, formula or water to thin)
Preheat your oven to 425. Prick potatoes with small knife and place on baking sheet. Bake in oven for 45-60 mins until tender when poked with knife. My oven took 45 mins and they were very tender.
Potatoes should be very wrinkled when cooked. Allow them to cool.
Cut potatoes in half length ways.
Scoop flesh from skins and place in food processor or blender bowl.
Pulse until smooth. Add in breastmilk, formula, or water until at a texture your baby can handle.
This is about what a stage one baby food should look like. I bought a jar or two of stage one foods to compare the consistency.
Spoon into freezer trays. Before doing this measure the sections to see how much each one holds, so you know how many sections your baby needs for each meal. Mine hold 2oz. each. Let freeze overnight.
Label a freezer bag with the type of food and date. Once good and frozen pop the sections into a freezer bag. I find this easiest to do in a big bowl so that you don't have little section flying across your kitchen. Store in freezer up to 3 months. May also be stored in the fridge up to 3 weeks.

I hope you have enjoyed this and maybe find it helpful. I love to cook and bake so please leave me a comment to let me know if there are any other foods or baby foods you would like featured!


post signature


8 comments:

The Gernand Family said...

Love it!!! Do you think it saves you money? Or is it mostly for the flavor/nutritional value?

md said...

You are so cute!! I LOVE it. The pictures are so helpful. You are going to give Pioneer Woman a run for her money :) If you have any main dish recipes I would love to see them :)

Sarah said...

Can you do dog food next?! Layla would love you for it.

The Chamblees said...

That's disgusting.

The Reiboldts said...

It honestly doesn't save tons of money. I just like that it is so much fresher and I know exactly what went into it and how it was cooked.

Hattie said...

Hi! I am one of Allison's friends. Could you give me an example of something you would use the steamer for?

The Reiboldts said...

Hattie,
You use a steamer actually for most foods. Sweet potatoes are one of the few that you bake. You don't necessarily need a steamer. Steamer baskets work just as good in a stock pot with about one inch of water. Steamers are great for steaming rice and veggies for adults too!

Renee said...

When I compared costs, it saved me a ton of money and it is so much better for your baby...especially if you go organic. I got a Magic Bullet to make mine and it was great. You can also get frozen vegetables if fresh are not available. They do pretty well if you are in a pinch.