Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Featured Meal of the Week

Since I love to cook, I thought I would share with my fellow bloggers some of my favorite things to cook. I try to cook at least 4 meals a week. The easiest way I have learned to plan our weekly menu is to cook one thing chicken, beef, pork, and eggs during the week. That equals four meal ideas I have to come up with, and I also try at least 1 new recipe a week.

This week I will share with you one of my favorite quick and easy meals:
Cashew Pork Stir-Fry over Hot Rice with Broccoli Slaw

Cashew Pork Stir-Fry
1/2 lb. of boneless pork chops (I can often find them sliced thin which I like the best)
3 Tablespoons of Stir-fry sauce
1 Tablespoon of thawed OJ concentrate
1 1/2 teaspoons of corn starch
1 Tablespoon of vegetable oil
2 stalks of celery chopped
1/2 -1 cup of matchstick carrots
1/2 cup dry roasted or unsalted cashews
Hot Rice

Slice the pork chops into 1/2 inch strips. Combine next three ingredients and toss with pork. Heat oil in large skillet over high heat. Add pork with sauce, celery and carrots. Cook 4-6 minutes or until pork is cooked through. Add carrots and stir over heat for 1-2 minutes. Serve over hot rice.

Broccoli Slaw
2 Tablespoons of light brown sugar
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 cup of vegetable oil (I prefer canola)
1 package of broccoli slaw
2 apples chopped (I prefer Gala or Rome -- red delicious or yellow will get to mushy. I think green apple would be nice in the summer)
1/2 cup of golden raisins

Whisk first four ingredients together and combine with slaw, apples, and golden raisins. Chill in fridge at least 2 hours. This makes many many servings and is a nice crunchy, cold side dish to accompany the hot stir fry and rice.

Let me know what you all think if you are brave enough to try them. Bon appetit!


post signature

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday yesterday! Hope it was a great one!!!